Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pie Time




All weekend long I was going to make the pineapple pie recipe I had. Safeway had pineapples on sale for $2 so I bought one and thought it was the perfect excuse to do it. And as usual I didn't read the whole recipe through before I was going to do it and saw that I had forgotten to buy the tapioca I needed. My sister bought some for me later on Sunday but by then it was too late to make it. In a fit of insanity I decided that yesterday, after a long Monday at work with a headcold, was the appropriate time to make a pineapple pie. Again after reading the recipe just before making it I see that the dough needs to be refrigerated for 3 hours before baking. I got the dough ready a little before 6pm. It's gonna be a long night...

At 8 I find out my show isn't going to start till 8:30 so I decide to go ahead and make the pie anyway, refrigeration be damned. The filling cooks in a double boiler and ends up looking like those store-bought fruit pies with the jelly-ish like filling. The dough is so soft it pretty much disintegrates when I try to pick it up and put it in the pie pan. With the filling inside and the now-melting top layer of dough I somehow manage to form it into some semblence of a pie. Again, it's a good idea when making pie, to put it on a cookie sheet to catch all the goop that dribbles out of it. I still managed to get a bunch on the bottom of the oven, though.

The pie turned out fine. The crust is lovely actually, not so much to look at, but to eat. The filling...it's pineapple...in a pie...not sure it was worth all the work, but it was fun to attempt. And sometimes that's all that really matters. I still have a long way to go with pie dough, but I am determined to get it right.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm.. pineapple pie, eh? Sounds like the perfect companion for pizza pie and movies on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete