Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dinners this week





I had last week off, which was wonderful, and some of the days it was cool enough to use the oven. I made a delicious pork roast dinner, complete with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. My mom always made the best pork roast, but she used cream of mushroom soup, which, while delicious, is not in the category of dairy-friendly foods I can eat. So I had to figure out a way to make gravy that doesn't have dairy in it. I discovered chicken broth works great as a base. Add some of the drippings from the roast for flavor, thicken with cornstarch and voila! Gravy!

And tonight I made baked penne pasta with tomato sauce, veggies, cheese, and some Italian sausage. I used whole grain pasta, which is very nice, and far healthier for you than the regular kind. It was my first time making it and I had a recipe but I tweaked it quite a bit. The recipe said it made 4 servings, but it made 8 big servings, so I don't know how they possibly thought anybody could eat such a huge serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment