Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rice Krispy Treats




It was too hot to use the oven this weekend, so I made something on the stovetop from my childhood. Until I was in my late teens, this is the recipe I knew as Rice Krispy Treats. I remember seeing the traditional ones for the first time and thinking something was horribly wrong with them...I mean, they're all good and fine too, but I like these the very best. I've experimented with it in the past, and I like the organic brown rice krispies you can find in some stores, as well as the natural-style unsweetened peanut butter. Dark chocolate instead of semi-sweet is always a wonderful choice. Some time I want to try using agave nectar instead of the corn syrup, but I have to figure out the proportions first. Oh, also, make sure to wash the pan and spoon immediately when finished because it will harden to cement otherwise. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice krispies
12 oz. chocolate chips

Cook corn syrup and sugar, stirring until boiling, in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and add peanut butter until well combined, then add the rice krispies. Press into a greased 9"x13" pan. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler and spread on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment