Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tried Something New


I don't drink alcohol but I do like to cook with it. I've heard about how amazing beer-can chicken is so I decided to test it out. I have to say I was a little disappointed because I never ended up tasting any beer flavor in the chicken. I was thinking next time I'd melt butter and some of the beer and use it to baste the chicken with while it roasts. I was also thinking a beer brine might work too. I used the rest of the beer (I poured half the can out before shoving the can into the chicken) and used it to make beer-steamed potatoes. The recipe called for me to steam new potatoes over beer and in a pan to saute onions in butter, and crumble bacon over it, then add the potatoes and the rest of the beer used for steaming all together to create a bit of a sauce. It was pretty good though the bitterness of the beer really overwhelmed it. All in all, not a huge win, but a lot of potential for me to keep building on in the future.

PS, I did not use the beer in the can after the chicken was cooked. If you try it out sometime, I hope you don't either...

No comments:

Post a Comment