Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cooking Light Roundup

This weekend I tried a couple recipes. Friday night I tried their suggestion for oven fries. I love oven fries but they always get overdone. Their suggestion was to soak them in water first and then drain them before going on as usual. So I did. They still got overdone, unfortunately, but I think I'm on the right track. I think they just cook for too long. Instead of a half hour I'll try 20 minutes and see how it is next time.

Saturday for lunch I tried making fish tacos. I need to eat more fish in my diet since it's so heart-healthy, so I tried an easy one. I bought some frozen tilapia fillets at the store and was a bit scared to use them. I don't usually cook fish so I am not very skilled at it yet. It's expensive, it smells for a long time after you cook it, and I'm a bit scared that it will taste really fishy. Well, this stuff didn't taste fishy, thankfully, but it did taste...oceany, if that makes any sense. It'll take a bit of adjusting but I think I'll get there.

The tacos were pretty good, especially since I figured out how to steam the soft corn tortillas with the basket from my rice cooker. The toppings were ok, not highly flavorful, but it is March, tomatoes and avocados are hardly at their peak right now. I think I need to try cabbage and green onions, it definitely needed something crunchy.

Here's the recipe: Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good if it didn't taste oceany! That's a bit too much for me!

    ReplyDelete