Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cooking Light Night



Tortilla Meatball Soup

I tried this out the other day and really liked it. It definitely was time-consuming, but it made a lot of leftovers for me to freeze, so I forgive it. The recipe called for ground sirloin, but since I don't eat beef I used ground chicken, which I think made it even less fat than what the original numbers are. Also, I used Egg Beaters instead of the egg for the meatballs, which cut out all the cholesterol from that as well as more fat and calories.

I would recommend you start this in the afternoon rather than at dinnertime to make this or you'll be eating very late. Also, after you open the can of chipotle chiles in adobo and only use one of them, you may be asking yourself, what the heck will I do with the rest of it? Try out this handy tip: Take a baking sheet and cover it in a sheet of parchment paper. Line up the chiles so they aren't touching each other and then spoon some of the sauce over each one. They will look like weird mounds, but that's not important. From here, place the baking sheet in the freezer for a couple hours until they are frozen. They will peel off the parchment paper and you can put them in a freezer bag or container and put them back in the freezer. You can take one out each time you need one for a recipe and not have to buy a new can each time or waste the can. This is definitely a good idea, imo.

No comments:

Post a Comment