Sunday, April 4, 2021

The Baker's Dozen: Triple Citrus Scones

 

The Baker's Dozen: Triple Citrus Scones

So, we have come to the end of this delicious bread project! Thirteen weeks ago, I started with panettone, and today, we have a lovely spring scone for Easter! I used this recipe, and I think it turned out really well! This is a great recipe for spring. Here's how it went!

This has a surprisingly large list of ingredients for scones. Since the buttermilk quantity was so small, I just made my own with milk and vinegar, rather than buying buttermilk from the store.
Look at this gorgeous pile of zest! It smells even better than it looks. I did cut it up into smaller pieces before adding it to the food processor.
Here is the butter cut into the dry ingredients. The zests are in there but you can't see them very well.
Here is the wet mixture. I juiced the orange I zested and used it for this. I juiced all the fruits and what did not get used in this, will be used for other recipes. Never waste citrus juice when you buy fruit to zest!

This is just barely mixed. It looks pretty dry, but don't worry, it'll work out in the end.

Beginning to roll it out on the table. It's pretty dry and crumbly, but keep working with it.
It will end up like this! Now you can see the zest showing through better.
Cut into 8 pieces, hopefully equal pieces!
It's hard to see, but these have the melted butter and sugar sprinkled over the tops. Ready for the oven!
This is the glaze. It's really thin, it is NOT an icing. It's really fresh though, this is just such a great time of year for zest!
Scones, out of the oven. I ended up doing about 17 minutes, but I probably should have done one or two minutes more.
Post-glazing. I did about three layers of glaze and I did the backs and sides too. I figured why waste good glaze?! The zest doesn't want to stay on the brush, so you might have to spoon those on or sprinkle it on with your fingers after.

Here is the inside of one, pre-butter! Like I said, I think it ended up needing another minute or so, but I also think the glaze needs to set really well. The top half was a little doughy, I think, but the bottom half was perfect. I think the glaze possibly softened the bread a bit and needs to set before you eat them.

I read some of the comments on the website this recipe is from and some people added dried cranberries to theirs and I think that would be a fantastic addition. If I make these again, I'm totally going to do that!

Well, 13 weeks have come to an end! I've had more winners than losers, I've had a ton of fun, and used more flour and sugar in that time than I typically do in a whole year! But don't worry, I'm not going to stop blogging and making things. I will be starting a 9 week project next week to try out springtime recipes I've had in my recipe collection forever but have never actually tested out. It'll be less baking and more cooking, but a little bit of everything, featuring fresh, springtime ingredients! Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment