Sunday, December 4, 2022

The Twelve Weeks of Christmas: Week 10

The Twelve Weeks of Christmas: Week 10

This Christmas

This Christmas is one of my favorites. Family fun and an amazing cast. Highly recommend this one if you've never seen it before.

I have been a bit distracted this weekend, and only one of my two planned items got made. Luckily, the one that was made turned out very tasty!

The movie has a family dinner, before Christmas, where the mom mentions having a Sock-it-to-Me cake and I thought that name sounded really interesting. I found a good, but simple recipe for one from this website. Because it's also from a cookbook by the website's author, I won't share it here. I do, however, plan to buy her cookbook because, if this recipe was any indication, everything in it is going to be amazing! I can at least show you how I made it.

Here's the ingredient shot. I had the liquid egg substitute leftover from Thanksgiving and they worked just fine in this recipe.
This is a great recipe, made a little easier by using a boxed cake mix as the base, but adding stuff to it to make it fancier. I really liked the sour cream added to it. It added to the texture and flavor.
Here's what it looks like all mixed. You can see that it's thicker than if you'd just made the cake mix as the box directions suggest.
2/3 of the batter into the pan.
Covered with the chopped pecan, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar mix.
And the last of the batter on top.
Here it is, out of the oven. I found it needed about 10 minutes more to bake than the recipe called for.
Out of the pan. I did not glaze this, as it suggested, because I wanted to take some of it to my parents and it was still too warm. By today, when I tried it, I didn't feel like dealing with it. It was just fine plain, but I can see how the glaze would have been great too. You could also just sprinkle this with powdered sugar, if you wanted.
Here's the portion I cut for my parents. I hope they liked it!
And here's a close up of my piece. This was really tasty! I would definitely make this cake again. It also made me very interested in trying out the other recipes in the author's cookbook. I'm sure they're all amazing!

I highly recommend watching This Christmas, and I highly recommend eating this cake while you do. The flavors are perfect for the holidays. It's not overly sweet, but nice and warming from the cinnamon. Just delish!
























No comments:

Post a Comment