Monday, September 11, 2023

Autumn Baking-Week2: Pumpkin Muffins

I made pumpkin muffins today because it was too hot to use the oven over the weekend. This recipe was suuuuuuper easy to make. The hardest part was grinding the flax seed, and even that I used an electric coffee grinder to do and it it took a total of about 1.5 minutes! This recipe is also about as healthy as a muffin recipe can be. Thankfully, they turned out really tasty! Since I cannot find the source of this recipe, I'm going to go ahead and write it out, but know that this is not my creation.

Pumpkin Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup flax seed, ground

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar + extra for topping, if desired*

1/2 cup milk

3 egg whites

1oz. canola oil

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. salt

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put all ingredients in a bowl. Lightly grease a muffin pan, and using an ice cream scoop, put a scoop into each muffin cup. Bake for about 20 minutes. About two minutes in, sprinkle each with a little additional brown sugar, if desired.*

Cool in pan for about 15 minutes over a wire rack, then transfer each muffin to a wire rack. Let cool again until ready to eat.

Makes 14 muffins-157 calories, 6.9g. fat, 3.9g. fiber

*I added the notes about the additional sugar, not 100% verbatim from recipe.

I know the recipe says you can dump everything into one bowl, but I just didn't want to try that. Baking always seems to do better when you mix dry and wet separately and then mix them together.
So, I went with the tried and true method.
And I think it worked great, like always!
The batter is pretty dark, and it might have to do do with the color of the flax seed. Mine was the darker brown kind, but if you used the lighter kind, the batter would probably be lighter too.
This was the first time I got to use my new silicone muffin mold. I read up on it and the consensus was the baked good still tend to stick to the bottom and sides, so I used liners anyway.
Because silicone conducts heat differently than metal, it took about 10 minutes longer for these to bake, so a full half hour.
Here is the finished product. The texture is really nice and chewy.
The flavor grew over time, the spices become pronounced once they're fully cooled. And as always, they're tasty with butter on them!

I'm going to freeze some of these to share with coworkers and my parents later this week. 
So here I am, two for two so far this baking project. I'm hopeful the rest of the recipes will be winners too!


No comments:

Post a Comment