Sunday, October 16, 2022

The 12 Weeks of Christmas: Movie Edition-Week 3

The 12 Weeks of Christmas: Movie Edition-Week 3

How the Grinch Stole Christmas 


There are a couple of great options for foods in the classic Grinch cartoon, but I narrowed it down to roast beast, and Who hash. Because I don't actually know what beast it is that's roasted, I decided to try my hand at Who hash. There isn't an official recipe for this, of course, but the internet has come up with plenty of options, so I picked one at random, and also found a hashbrown recipe from my own recipe collection to try out. I ended up with a delicious Grinch-themed brunch this morning!

Here are all the ingredients ready for prepping.
And here they are post-prepping, ready to be cooked.

First up is the Who Hash recipe, which I took from this site:

Who Hash
Here is the mixed potatoes and veggies, with the lemon juice, ready to fry.
And into the frying pan! Please note, that I did something different with the sausages. I never trust them to cook all the way through when you pan fry them, so I boiled them instead and then cut them into pieces like the recipe calls for. I would just rather know that the sausages are cooked through, you know?!

My second recipe has no source that I can find so I will write it out.

Hashbrowns

4 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 bu. fresh rosemary
 1 large yellow onion, diced
6 large Idaho or russet potatoes, thoroughly washed and cut into 1/4" cubes
3 green onions, green part only, finely chopped

1.) Add oil to a large, heavy skillet and place over medium heat.
2.) Add garlic and rosemary and cook just until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
3.) Stir in yellow onions, continue to cook until onions and garlic are translucent.
4.) Add potatoes and green onions, stirring often to prevent sticking. Cook until the potatoes are crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings

I used dried rosemary because I didn't have fresh and I'm not the biggest rosemary fan. It can be very overwhelming and I've had bad experiences with it. It takes like eating a Christmas tree when done badly...! The Grinch may have stolen all the Christmas trees from Whoville, but he was smart enough not to eat the needles...!
The pan was too small but it was the next biggest one I had. The biggest one was used for the Who hash that needed more space. This was a half batch too, btw. This took longer to cook then the recipe says, same with the Who hash, but you know how potatoes are. They cook as long as they take, and then some, sometimes...

Here is the final product dished up very casually with some buttered toast! Both tasted really good, but were a lot of work for hashbrowns when frozen work so well. It's fun to experiment with making your own though. 

I really like the Italian sausage in the hash. It never occurred to me to use that kind of sausage in this kind of dish, but it was a great addition!

You can see why the Grinch would steal this from the Whos in Whoville. If I could get a canned version of this, I totally would eat it all the time!






No comments:

Post a Comment