Sunday, December 5, 2021

The Twelve Cookies of Christmas: Danish Shortbread

 

The Twelve Cookies of Christmas: Danish Shortbread

This recipe seems very simple. Deceptively simple. You see the list of ingredients and think, "How can this possible be delicious?" Let me tell you, though, it's a really good shortbread cookie recipe! This recipe came from this book:

I can't type out the recipe since I don't own the rights to this book, but I highly recommend it!

Here is the entire set of ingredients for the cookies! That's it!!
The creaming stage, I just don't bother with the mixer anymore. By hand does just fine!
Post creaming, pre-egg.
All the ingredients, I ended up using a pastry blender to mix the butter in better.
It seems like it's really dry, and I found it easier to turn it out onto the counter and knead it there. It takes a bit.
This is what it looks like when you finish kneading it. It comes together really nicely. I was not sure about the recipe saying you don't need to chill the dough, because you always chill shortbread dough, but I followed what the recipe said, and I was very pleased with the results!
I cut them into diamonds, and they ended up being a lot of sizes, but it's good for variety!
The recipe says you can top them with sugar and crushed almonds, if you wanted to. I didn't have the right kind of almonds, so I tried something else. I took regular sugar and added a little almond extract to it. It makes a wet mixture, but I was able to sprinkle it over the cookies, as you can see above.

Here is the finished product. The sugar is good but I don't know that the almond flavor comes through very strongly. The cookies are shockingly addicting. I don't know why shortbread is so simple but so good. It's a great cookies for the holidays, because they are low maintenance and quick to make. It wouldn't be Christmas without them!

Definitely try this cookbook and this recipe. It's well worth it! Happy Baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment