Sunday, October 24, 2021

The Twelve Cookies of Christmas-New England Hard Gingerbread

 

The Twelve Cookies of Christmas-New England Hard Gingerbread

I wasn't planning on testing this recipe for this project, but the one I was going to do slipped under the stove and I couldn't get to it, so this became my new recipe instead! Luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand. I was given advice on how to retrieve it from under the stove, so I'll see if I can get the recipe later on and add it back to the project rotation.

This recipe just sounded perfect for a Christmas cookie project. New England plus gingerbread? I'm surprised I didn't pick it out originally. It's an older recipe card, so I don't have a source. I feel more comfortable writing it out. In its own way, it's just as simple as shortbread, but the result is very different.

New England Hard Gingerbread

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 egg

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp. dried ginger

1/2 tsp. baking soda

In a medium bowl, mix molasses, butter, and egg until blended.

Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended.


On a greased cookie sheet, roll out or pat dough with lightly floured hands to 10"x12" rectangle.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 20 minutes, until lightly browned around edges.

While still warm, cut in 2" squares or cool on sheet on rack and break in chunks. Store in airtight container up to 2 weeks.

Makes 30 two" squares.

I should have rolled it out thinner, but the texture was really nice on this. I think the idea is supposed to be like hardtack, and this is definitely not that. Admittedly, I did not use floured hands, and that might have helped me pat it out even thinner. Something to try next time, for sure.

I decided to go with the rustic breaking into pieces rather than cutting. I think it's fun this way!

The flavor of these cookies is amazing! The texture is a little dry. I think that's because it's supposed to be thinner and harder. As they are, I think they'd be even better with some icing or frosting on them. This would also work well as a gingerbread recipe for making houses. It's very sturdy. 

There's just something about ginger at Christmastime, isn't there? It has to be there! I keep saying that one of these years I'm going to build a gingerbread Nakatomi Plaza, and maybe this is the recipe I'll use!!

This is the kind of cookie that you want to eat while sipping pumpkin spice tea and watch a Christmas movie while wrapped in a blanket. Definitely roll them out thinner, but I'd make these again, for sure.

Happy Baking!






No comments:

Post a Comment