Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Crock-Pot Kraut Dinner

I have a handful of Crock-Pot recipes I kept from last year's daily calendar and am slowly trying them out. This one turned out to amazingly delicious. I did take pictures but won't post them because, sauerkraut, cabbage, and brats aren't the most photogenic of foods, regardless of their flavor. Here is the recipe, with all the changes that I made to it:

Old-Fashioned Sauerkraut
4 slices bacon
1/2 small green cabbage, cored and shredded
1 can sauerkraut, undrained
4-5 bratwursts(I used chicken brats)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup white wine(you could definitely use beer if you had any, but I had white wine that needed to used up and it turned out really good)
Pepper, to taste

1.) Place the cabbage in the crock-pot. It will come up nearly to the top. Place the can of sauerkraut, including the juice, over it. Then add the brats, onions, butter, and pepper to taste.

2.) Cook the bacon over medium heat in a frying pan until crisp.When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it and place on top of the other ingredients in the pot. Then pour the bacon fat over that. Deglaze the frying pan with the wine and gently scrape off all the bacon bits from the pan and when the alcohol has burned off from the wine, pour it over the top of the food in the pot. Place the lid on the pot and turn on high. It will take at least 4.5-5 hours, and you will need to take the lid off once in a while and gently stir everything around as the cabbage begins to cook down.

This will make 4-5 servings and is good served with roasted potatoes or buttered noodles. I was really pleased with how delicious this was. It reheats well. I froze two portions so I can see if it thaws well. Not sure if it will, but I'm sure it'll still be tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful... we'll give it a try. Your great grandad would have loved it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete