Friday, November 6, 2009

Pureed Vegetable Soup




I have been experimenting with rice milk this week and found out that I like it a lot. It cooks well, goes good with cereal, and is easily digestible. One of my favorite kinds of soups to make is a pureed veggie soup. I had some regular potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, garlic, and pureed pumpkin on hand, and bought a sweet potato at the store. Or what the store says was a sweet potato. Those are always being mixed up with yams. Whichever it really was, it was the lighter colored one, almost the same shade as the potatoes. Peel what you want, chop it up, toss it in a pot. Cover it with liquid of some sort. Usually I use chicken stock but this time I used vegetable to make it truly vegan. Salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook till all the veggies are soft. Then use a hand-held blender in the pot to puree all the veggies. Add rice milk, soy milk, or dairy milk to thin it out to desired consistency, then put it back on the heat for a while. I added some curry powder and lemon juice to this batch and quite liked the flavor. You can add cheese to it and mix, which is also rather tasty, but I left it out this time. It was still a little sweet for my tastes, but the curry mixed well with it. This is great comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment